The PhD Forum provides an opportunity for doctoral students to present their work related to the ConTEL 2023 conference topics to a wider community of researchers from academia and industry. Its aim is also to encourage interaction and networking among doctoral students from different universities.
Call for submissions is also available as (PDF) .
July 3, 2023: Extended Abstracts Submission
July 7, 2023: Notification of Acceptance
July 10, 2023: Upload a presentation for the pitch talk
July 13, 2023: PhD Forum Session
How it works
Doctoral students are invited to submit a two-page extended abstract for review and possible inclusion in the PhD Forum program.
The content of the submission should focus on one’s own research work and future thesis contribution – not the work of the research team (or the project they are involved in) as a whole.
The sequence of events related to the PhD Forum is described below.
The abstracts should be formatted according to the ConTEL 2023 paper submission instructions but limited to two (2) pages in total and submitted electronically before the submission deadline via the EDAS Conference and Journal Management System (Link: https://edas.info/newPaper.php?c=30277&track=119401). The extended abstract should contain the title, the name and affiliation of the student and her/his advisor(s), the abstract, the research topic presentation, graphical illustrations to aid the presentation, and the list of references.
The authors of accepted submissions will be asked to prepare a poster, to be personally presented by the doctoral student at the PhD Forum session of the conference. The format of the poster should be A1 (paper size: 594 mm x 841 mm) with portrait orientation. For convenience, a PowerPoint Poster Template can be found on the conference website.
The PhD Forum will be organized as a poster session, preceded by a fast-paced introduction by each student that offers a preview of the posters. Each student will be given a strictly-timed 2-minutes’ slot to present a “pitch talk” about her/his research. The purpose of the pitch talk is to provide a brief outline of one’s doctoral research work, with the goal to raise awareness and generate further discussion over the poster session that follows next.
To keep within the time limits of the PhD Forum as a whole, the number of PhD presentations/posters will be limited to 20. All submissions will be reviewed by the PhD Forum Program & Organizing Committee members and qualified reviewers based on relevance to the conference, innovativeness, and quality of presentation. All accepted and presented submissions will be included in the Book of Abstracts of the ConTEL 2023 PhD Forum, to be published after the conference.
For authors of accepted presentations, who have already registered for the conference, the PhD Forum registration fee is waived (i.e., they are not required to pay an additional registration). For authors of accepted extended abstracts not registered otherwise, the PhD Forum registration fee is 100 EUR and this fee includes: 1) PhD Forum participation; 2) Book of Abstracts (electronic version); 3) Access to other ConTEL 2023 conference sessions on the day of the PhD Forum; 4) Coffee breaks and the social event of ConTEL 2023 on Thursday, July 13, 2023.
- Wilfried Gappmair, Graz University of Technology (Chair)
- Erich Leitgeb, Graz University of Technology
- Maja Matijašević, University of Zagreb
- Dinko Begušić, University of Split
Program & Organizing Committee
- Matevž Pustišek, University of Ljubljana
- Reinhard Teschl, Graz University of Technology
- Petar Krivić, University of Zagreb
- Maja Škiljo, University of Split
The 2023 PhD Forum is the eighth in the series. The previous editions of this event were co-organized and co-located with the following ICT-related conferences taking place in Croatia:
- 1st PhD Forum, at SoftCOM 2016, Split, September 22, 2016 (Book of Abstracts),
- 2nd PhD Forum, at ConTEL 2017, Zagreb, June 28, 2017 (Book of Abstracts),
- 3rd PhD Forum, at SST 2018, Osijek, October 11, 2018 (Book of Abstracts),
- 4th PhD Forum, at SoftCOM 2019, Split, September 20, 2019 (Book of Abstracts),
- 5th PhD Forum, at SoftCOM 2020, Split, September 18, 2020 (Book of Abstracts).
- 6th PhD Forum, at ConTEL 2021, Zagreb, July 2, 2021 (Book of Abstracts)
- 7th PhD Forum, at SoftCOM 2022, Split, September 23, 2022 (Book of Abstracts)